Philosophy of Teaching Statement

Fostering student uniqueness by empowering them to be themselves is what I take very seriously. No matter who or where they’re from, we teach for them and not for ourselves. Cultural acceptance and diversity are ways teachings can become inclusive. To know there isn’t just one way of teaching, but there also exists various learning abilities and styles of learners. From this, there is awareness of which our demographic is and what defines us as teachers. There’s no perfect being, and embracing and appreciating mistakes are skills that everyone needs in life. I relate empowerment to empathy. Through the years, I have attempted to be an empathic figure to my students to make them feel motivated to learn.

Years in the classroom, students learn when they want to experience the lesson topic. If the content is interesting, they are self-motivated. Not only so, but students also encourage themselves to attend class intrinsically (learn cause it is fun and useful). In order for them to feel the classroom is a fun place to learn, they must be ‘true.’ To be ‘true’ and ‘real’ consist of not changing who you are and stay authentic to those surrounding you. There are things to appreciate as unique individuals, and we should include lessons that foster student uniqueness. Doing so, they feel the power to learn more and perform more confidently.

As a role model for students, I hope to facilitate their learning by becoming accessible or available when possible. Learning prompts inquiry and curiosity about lesson content, and when they see that an extra set of ears is available, they are motivated to absorb more information. This not only works for students’ academic issues, but perhaps real-life issues as well. Sometimes, students need a ‘listener’ to hear what is happening and not feel alone. Being available can guide students to be more outgoing and less timid for sure. Furthermore, it expands their view of a school and all it entails. Spanning beyond the typical one-dimensional textbook logic, to a multi-faceted, complex idea that exists because minds come together through group interactions and discussions.

To implement is to be willingly adapt and change. When teaching a class of new language learners, members of the classroom see the value of accepting each other for whom they are and the part of the world that they represent. Ignoring is not an option, and I do believe that teachers should adopt this worldview in their classrooms. For doing so, there are no signs of negligence, and one dominant culture reigns over another. Thus, making it an all-inclusive learning experience for language learners. In addition, the learning or classroom morale becomes high as well. As the majority sees the value of accepting each other for whom they are and the part of the world that they represent. Ignoring is not an option, and I do believe that teachers should adopt this worldview in their classrooms. In doing so, there are no more signs of negligence, and one dominant culture reigns over another. Thus, making it an all-inclusive learning experience for language learners. In addition, the learning or classroom morale becomes high as well.

All in all, I hope to be empathetic. Being ’empathetic’ is a significant skill that takes time to attain. It is also a must-have task for a teacher. Without it, students cannot feel the teacher understands their views and rationality (right/wrong).